All McBride's books in one place! And more!!!

New books, old books, all about McBride (well, some things about McBride), blogs, videos. Come on down! Click here.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Crisp and Dry


Sand fiddler crab (c. Laura Harrison McBride 2013)


Crisp and Dry. That's what the packet said. The packet
contained some sort of cracker
I thought. She shoved me
a bit, snarled, "Pardon me." I was standing beside
an open bit of supermarket conveyor belt
she wanted to put her groceries on right then
and she did.
Banged each item down.
It was my fault the cashier was slow and
the man in front of my husband was
having a conversation and
ignoring his duty--that lady might have said--to
hurry up and move on
on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

So she slammed food onto rubber, pursed her lips...not that it
made any difference. Puckered, she was. Coated 
with an invisible layer of 
age dust. Crisp and Dry.
Lips pursed, wrinkles darting right left and centre refusing to
let go their disapproval. Colourless eyes, colourless glasses.
Straight short grey hair stuck
out in clumps, badly cut. Grey wool slacks bagged at the knee. Shapeless 
jersey in some muted colour. Mint green? Lavender? No matter.
No makeup. No jewellery.
Crisp. And dry.

Widow? No. Women of her age, having lost
a spouse, keep up their looks in hopes
of meeting dear Fred in heaven. Spinster, probably.
Crisp and Dry.

Not crackers. Cooking oil. Solid stuff, hydrogenated. Deadly, 
slowly. Her cooking would be crisp and dry, 
veins hardened like her manner in time.

People say, often, that crabby old people are crabby because they are old.
I think they are old because they are crabby, crisp and dry.


1 comment:

Roses said...

I have a huge soft-spot for Fiddler Crabs.

My dad moved to Singapore and I spent a few summers with him. A lot of my time was spent by myself on the beach chasing these beckoning crabs.

You've brought back some lovely memories.

Thank you honey.
xx